Wednesday, September 15, 2010

A Recipe

Hello Folks
( don't ask me why I am calling you all " folks" but I just am)

Spring time is a busy time ( well for some of you it's fall but here in Australia it is Spring!)

* sigh * I just love spring.

Here is a delicious crumble my family all love!

Apple and raspberry crumble pie

Filling:
10 Granny smith apples peeled, quartered, sliced ( or half a 800 g tin of apples)
I just use half a tin of apples.
2 tbsp sugar ( raw sugar or plain either one is all right)

1 punnet raspberries or 300g frozen raspberries, thawed

Now I will give you the pastry part as well, but I don't have the pastry on the crumble usually because it actually tastes nicer with no pastry but you can try the pastry with the crumble if you want too.

Pastry:
125g unsalted butter, roughly chopped
2 tbsp castor sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 cups plain flour
1/4 cup self-raising flour
1/4 cup custard powder

Crumble topping:
1 1/4 cups plain flour
2 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup brown sugar
90g butter, roughly chopped

Method:
1. Place apples in a saucepan, and cover completely with water.

2. Cover, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes or
until apples are tender. Drain and allow to cool.

3. Meanwhile beat butter and sugar in a bowl until light and fluffy.

4. Add egg, beat until combined. Transfer mixture to a large bowl, add flours and custard powder and blend to form a smooth dough.

5. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured board or between 2 sheets of plastic wrap until large enough to line a 23cm flan tin with removable base.
Grease tin and line with pastry.

6. Combine sugar and raspberries and spoon into pastry case ( or empty flan tin if not using pastry.)

7. Cover raspberries with the cool apple mixture ( or half a 800g tinned apples.)

8. Combine flour, cinnamon and brown sugar in a bowl, rub in butter to form a crumb mixture. Sprinkle over apple and raspberry filled flan.

9. Bake in a preheated 180 degrees Celsius oven for approximately 45-50 minutes or until pastry and crumble are golden brown.

10. If you want to serve with ice cream or vanilla custard or thickened cream your choice.
Makes 1 x 23cm pie.

Yummy!!

3 comments:

  1. YUM!

    Ps. I love your blog design!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The recipe sounds good.
    p.s. I follow you I just don't have a picture.
    Louis

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delicious recipe! I have made one similar.
    Keep posting!
    ~Holly

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to share your thoughts, x